Miyagi Zao Kokeshi Hall
Miyagi Zao Kokeshi Hall
History & Culture
When you meet Kokeshi, somehow you feel nostaltic.
Located in the base of magnificent Zao, it is the modern building matching with the surrounding nature. The 1st floor displays traditional Kokeshi and wooden toys from all over Japan. All together, there are 5,500 items, and they are displayed according to its type so that it is easy for you to see. There are also a demonstration section, and a sales section. On the 2nd floor, there is an experience section such as ceramic painting class where you can make your own Kokeshi.
The traditional industrial hall located in Miyagi, with five production areas of Naruko, Yajiro, Sakunami, Hijiori, and Tohgatta. Traditional Kokeshi and wooden toys all over the country are exhibited by production area, and collections of prominent collectors are also displayed. Kokeshi is characterized by its shape and pattern depending on the production area, and you can enjoy each taste. Also, in addition to the demonstration section where Kokeshi craftsmen's wheel skill can be seen in the close distance, experiential class that paint Shiraki Kokeshi are popular. Let's paint Kokeshi and make only one original work in the world.
- Postal Code
- 36-135 Nishiurayama, Shinchi, Tohgatta Onsen, Zao Town, Katta-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
- Phone number
- Business hour
- AM9:00 to PM5:00 (Last enty: PM4:30)
- Regular Holiday
- New Year 's Holiday: From 29th December to 3rd January (Last entry: PM3:00)
- Access Method
- By bus: Take Miyagi Transport Bus from Sendai Station No. 33 Bus Stop. It takes 70 minutes. Get off at "Tohgatta Yunomachi Basutei", and walk for 10 minutes.
- Budget reference
- The entrance fee Adult 300 yen Children (Primary School Kids/Junir High School Kids) 150 yen A group of 20 people and over Adult 250 yen Children 120 yen A group of 100 people and over Adult 200 yen, Children 100 yen Kokeshi Painting Experience (need a researvation)...750 yen, A group of 20 people and over ...700 yen ※accepting max 200 people for the painting experience.
- Parking area
- 50 cars
- cash on site
- If you would like to apply for more than 10 people, please make a reservation 3 days in advance. Individuals (small groups) can apply on your visit, however, those with reservation have the priority. So during spring, summer, winter holidays or big consecutive holidays, it would be wise to make a reservation before you leave home to save your waiting time.