Agatsuma Family House・Hirasawa Mida’s Cedar
History & Culture
You can feel how a wealthy famrer family lived in the Edo period
Agatsuma Family House (National Important Cultural Property) is the largest private house with a thatched roof in Miyagi prefecture. It tells us how the wealthy farmer family lived in the Edo era. Hirasawa Mida's Cedar (Prefecture's Natural Treature) is one of the largest cedars in the prefecture, which is about 45 meters in height and about 9.7 meters in circumstance. It is considered that the Northern Fujiwara (Oshu Fujiwara) planted the tree at the time of the creation of Jouroku Amidado.
- Postal Code
- 4 Yakushimae, Magatake, Zao Town, Katta-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
- Business hour
- The 3rd Sunday of every month AM10:00 to PM4:00 (close at PM3:00 from Novemeber to March)
- Regular Holiday
- The 3rd Sunday of every month AM10:00 to PM4:00 (close at PM3:00 from Novemeber to March) ※The above open date may be closed temporarily.
We announce upcoming schedules on our website.
For details, please contact the Town Cultural Property Protection Officer (TEL: 0224-33-2328).
· Closed: Closed when the above open date is included in the period from 8th to 22nd of August and 15th December to 31st January 31
· Viewing is permitted only on the open date. Please refrain from entering the premises except for the opening day for private residence.
- Access Method
- By bus: 30 minutes from Tohoku Shinkansen Shiroishi Zao Station (5 minutes walk from the bus stop) By car: 20 minutes from Shiroishi IC on Tohoku Express Highway
- Budget reference
- Free Entry
- Parking area