The little bird house at the entrance of the Wild Bird Forest
Recently, the interest in nature has increased due to the urbanization of the living environment, and the number of people who seek nature continue to increase. For that reason, Little Bird House has been established at the entrance of the Wild Bird Forest, as the place to learn about the system of nature and the importance of lives.
Officially named as " The Miyagi Prefecture Zao Wild Bird Forest Nature Observation Center", it is on the path towards Miyagi Zao Eboshi Resort from the center of Tohgatta Onsen. The forest has long been known as a paradise for wild birds, and in 1974 the "Zao Wild Bird Forest" was established.
It opened in accordance with the "National Conference on Wild Bird Protection" held here in May 1994. With the roof which looks like a wild bird spreading their feathers, inside the building makes you feel like you have stepped into the world of wild birds. The displays provide information about the nature of Zao and ecology of wild birds in interesting ways. There are 112 kinds of stuffed bird specimen from 33 bird families, such as golden eagle. In addition, stuffed mammals and specimens of butterflies and moths are shown. In winter when there are limited food in nature, you can see a lot of wild birds, squirrels and Japanese serows gathered on the feeding table, from the observation room. In addition to the monthly events, you can make crafts using natural things, a little bird brooch, and a glitter tree anytime.
- Postal Code
- 162‐1 Uwanohara, Tohgatta Onsen, Zao Town, Katta-gun, Miyagi prefecture
- Business hour
- Regular Holiday
- Monday (except Public Holiday) and the next day of Public Holiday (except Saturday, Sunday and Public Holiday) From 28th December to 4th January
・Every Monday and the next day of Public Holiday (If Monday is a public holiday, then the next day is closed) ・New Year's Holiday (28th December to 4th January)
- Access Method
- By bus: From JR Tohoku Shinkansen Shiroishi Zao Station, take Miyagi Transport Bus or from JR Sendai Station, take Miyagi Transport Express Bus. Take the bus bounding for Tohgatta Onsen. Get off at Tohgatta Onsen Yunomachi, and take a taxi for 10 minutes
- Budget reference
- Univeristy Students and Adult 350 yen Large Group 280 yen The large group is more than 20 people High School Students and anyone younger are free People with physical disability certificate, mental disability certificate or rehabilitation cerfiticate, may be free, so please contact the receptionist.
- Parking area
- Car park (accommodating 5 large sized car and 30 normal sized cars)
- cash on site
- Various experiences such as trekking and simple charcoiling are available. Some require reservations, so please check in advance.